One of my close friends (who I met through work) gave me some of the best advice I’ve ever received about relationships. This girl is eighteen and a constant reminder of the fact that age is not proportional to the amount of wisdom one can offer (as is my baby bro, my friend Nic, etc). She and I were talking about relationships and she told me that relationships should never be complicated or confusing. This seems so straightforward and like, “duh!” but really, when you think about it, it means so much! Here is what I grasped from this piece of advice, coupled with my own experiences with guys:
- While the circumstances might be confusing, the guy himself should never be. You should know that who he is to you is who he really is–he shouldn’t be two-faced or anything like that.
- If it’s meant to be, it’ll be. As cliché as that is, it’s true. God has a plan.
- You should never have to be someone you’re not in order to make someone happy. Be you, and someone will love you for that.
- As difficult as it may be, don’t settle and don’t try to change someone to be your dream soulmate. As stated before, God has a plan and a soulmate lined up for you, if that’s your calling.
- Don’t rush things. I suck at this because I am so future- and family-oriented. I think I’m getting better, and it’s due to previous relationships that I’ve rushed into and then been destroyed by.
It’ll be okay. It will.